- Question 1: Mining in ___ has been causing pollution of rivers Bicholim, Mandovi and Terekhol ?
Explanation: In Goa, iron ore mining has adversely impacted the sediments of two major rivers in the state. This has ultimately affected the bottom-dwelling organisms in them, a study said. The study was conducted by the Marine Science Department of Goa University.
Researchers carried out detailed assessments of the impact of mining on the sediment cores of the rivers in Goa and also on the metal concentration in the Zuari estuary.
- Question 2: Navaratna Company __ has been selected for the President's award for utilization of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) fund in social development?
Explanation: NALCO started a scheme Aliali Jhia in 2015. The Ministry of Corporate Affairs has also praised the CMD of NALCO, Tapan Chand who started the scheme to adapt and promote the poor and talented girls for education.
- Question 3: __ will convert heritage properties into hotels to boost tourism?
Explanation:The West Bengal government has decided to convert heritage properties into hotels to boost tourism in the state.
State Chief Secretary Maloy Dey has directed all District Magistrates to identify heritage properties with potential for conversion into hotels, and sought detailed information on the matter at the earliest.
- Question 4: Which committee has been set up to revise the current series of WPI?
Explanation: The Government has constituted a Working Group for the revision of the current series of Wholesale Price Index.
In a release, Commerce and Industry Ministry said, Prof. Ramesh Chand, Member, Niti Aayog will be the chairman of the 18-member committee.
The Office of Economic Adviser, Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade will be the nodal office for the Working Group and will process the report and recommendation of the Group for further necessary action.
- Question 5: Government plans to roll out one nation, one ration card by ...?
Explanation:The new mechanism will ensure that no poor person is deprived of Public Distribution System, PDS entitlement if the person shifts from one place to another.
- Question 6: Govt cuts interest rate on small savings schemes by __ per cent?
Explanation:The government has reduced interest rate on small savings schemes, including the National Savings Certificate and Public Provident Fund, by 0.1 per cent for the July-September quarter.
Barring interest on savings deposits, which has been retained at 4 per cent annually, rate on all other schemes has been slashed by 0.1 per cent.
- Question 7: The US and Taliban have started fresh negotiations in __ on ending war?
Explanation:The United States and the Taliban have opened fresh negotiations in Doha. The talks mark the seventh round of negotiations aimed at ending Afghanistan's longest war.
The negotiations have, so far, centred on four issues - counter-terrorism, presence of foreign troop presence, an intra-Afghan dialogue and a permanent ceasefire.
- Question 8: __ and Saudi Arabia have agreed to extend deal to keep oil production low owing to abundant world supplies ?
- Question 9: The US has deployed __ stealth fighters to Qatar for the 1st time ?
Explanation: The United States has deployed F-22 stealth fighters to Qatar for the first time, its military said yesterday. The announcement adds to a buildup of US forces in the Gulf amid tensions with Iran.