Share your feedback on video notes:
1. This upgrade by NDA government to the existing scheme ensures the biggest ever contribution by government to Crop Insurance.
2. Rs 8,800 cr crop insurance scheme has been sanctioned under this scheme.
3. The contribution by the government makes the farmer bear the minimum of the premium rate.
4. There will be one premium rate for each season on all foodgrains, oilseeds, and pulses – removing all the variaitions in rates across crops and districts within season – Kharif: 2%; Rabi: 1.5%.
In Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY), the state will also provide a matching contribution while farmers will pay only 2 per cent of the premium fixed by the insurance company for kharif foodgrains/ oilseeds crops and 1.5 per cent for rabi foodgrains/ oilseeds crops. The premium will be 5 per cent for horticultural and commercial crops for both seasons.
5. There will be no capping of the sum insured; the farmers will get full insurance cover.
6. Inundation has been included in this upgrade. Here Inundation means floods.
7. Emphasis on the usage of smartphones and satellite technology to facilitate the accurate assessment and settlement of claims is done
Why was it needed ?
Going by government data, as many as 207 districts in nine states have been hit by drought. As much as 90 lakh hectare of land had been affected due to drought and the affected states had sought relief of over Rs 25,000 crore from the central government.
History of crop insurance in India:
In 1985, the then Congress government had launched a comprehensive Crop Insurance scheme (CCIS) 1985. In 1997-98, the government re-launched the scheme, which lasted only for a year.
The government ran this until 1999. In 1999, the government launched National Agricultural Insurance Scheme (NAIS).
Modi’s scheme assumes significance in the backdrop of the drubbings the BJP suffered in the recent Bihar-elections.
किसानों की फसल के संबंध में अनिश्चितताओं को दूर करने के लिये नरेन्द्र मोदी की कैबिनेट ने 13 जनवरी 2016 को प्रधानमंत्री फसल बीमा योजना को मंजूरी दे दी। प्रधानमंत्री फसल बीमा योजना, किसानों की फसल को प्राकृतिक आपदाओं के कारण हुयी हानि को किसानों के प्रीमियम का भुगतान देकर एक सीमा तक कम करायेगी।
इस योजना के लिये 8,800 करोड़ रुपयों को खर्च किया जायेगा। प्रधानमंत्री फसल बीमा योजना के अन्तर्गत, किसानों को बीमा कम्पनियों द्वारा निश्चित, खरीफ की फसल के लिये 2% प्रीमियम और रबी की फसल के लिये 1.5% प्रीमियम का भुगतान करेगा।